A recent BMG poll, conducted on behalf of the Labour party, reveals that a significant majority of Scots want to continue using the British pound.

A representative sample of 924 Scots aged 16+ were asked which currency they would prefer Scotland to use.

More than three in five Scots (68%) want to continue using the Scottish pound. One in five (21%) backed the creation of a separate Scottish currency.  The Euro was the least popular option, favoured by only 10% of respondents.

The poll also asked respondents: “If the rest of the UK left the EU but Scotland remained in, there could be a ‘hard border’ (i.e. border checkpoints) between Scotland and the rest of the UK. If you had to choose, what would you rather have?”  A total of 61% backed free trade and no borders with the rest of the UK but with Scotland outside of the EU.   The remaining 39% opted for hard borders with the rest of the UK but Scotland in the EU.

Respondents were also asked which issue they believe is the most important facing society.  The most salient issue was Brexit, the choice of 28% of respondents, followed by the NHS on 13%. Scottish Independence / remaining in the UK was ranked as the most important issue by 8% of those polled.

Finally, the poll asked Scots whether they agree or disagreed with the following statement: “The SNP  should stop talking about referendums and get on with the job of governing Scotland”.  Nearly two thirds (62%) agreed with the statement, with 18% disagreeing.

An article based on these polling results, released by the Sunday Post, can be found here.

Fieldwork dates and methodology can be found here.

A full breakdown of these results can be found here.

For a more detailed breakdown of results from this poll, or any other results from our polling series, please get in touch by email or phone.

polling@bmgresearch.co.uk

@BMGResearch

0121 333 6006

Untitled2  Lauren Harris – Senior Research Executive

Share this article: